Now that your new vinyl shutters are fresh out of the manufacturing plant and ready to become a part of your home, it’s time to install them. While we here at Stanfield Shutter offer the option of free installation, some of you might be curious as to how the process would work should you decide to do it yourself. To give you a better idea of how a DIY situation would work with shutter installation, we’ve provided a step-by-step process for installing vinyl shutters. Refer to the list of steps below to determine whether you would like to install the shutters on your own time, or opt to have them installed by a professional installation team.
- 1. Get started by setting up a ladder next to the windows where you will be hanging the shutters. Have someone hold the shutter in place against the side of the window and align the vinyl shutter evenly with the bottom of the window.
- 2. Find the center of the shutters and make a small mark with a pencil. Align the center marks on the window and have someone hold it against the wall.
- 3. Once you’ve got someone holding the shutters in place, mark each hole with a pencil. Make sure that the shutter doesn’t move during this process to ensure accurate marking.
- 4. After you’ve marked each hole you can see, remove the shutter and check to make sure you didn’t miss or mark any out of alignment. If one is missing or marked improperly, be sure to correct it as you will need each of these markings to be accurate.
- 5. Now that you’ve got your markings, you can drill holes for the vinyl plugs that will hold the shutters in place. Drill holes at 2/3 of the length of the vinyl plug or the depth that your shutter instructions require.
- 6. Place the shutter against the wall with the newly drilled holes and insert the vinyl plugs into the holes. Lightly tap each vinyl plug into the hole using a rubber mallet. These should fit tightly against the shutter.
- 7. Once these have been inserted, press each corner of the shutter snugly against the wall.
- From here, repeat each step until each of your shutters are installed. Once you’ve finished, check to make sure that the shutters are securely installed by pressing each vinyl plug firmly or lightly tapping them with a rubber mallet.